Saturday, May 24, 2014

You can call me anything just don't call me late to Dinner

Today we visited the Kilimanjaro jail, which was a very humbling experience. Paired with what I learned yesterday, I have a much better idea of the history here in Ireland that's not to say that 3 hours or tours can cover 100 years of history, but I do feel more knowledgeable about the "world" I'm in.

So that's the reflection part.... After the jail we went to the Guinness Store house. Being the beer nerd I am, I realized I was more inclined to tour at my own pace. After pouring my own pint and being called a "natural" I thought my trip to Ireland was complete. Turns out I still have some more things to learn! 

Since I was so slow in the tour I was separated from the group this was not a problem and in all honesty was almost to plan. After the storehouse, I had some time to kill so I went to Ireland's oldest pub - The Brazen Head, this was a very cool and authentic place where I was able to find my own place at the bar. After a half of pint or so I asked the local; " So are you from Dublin" and sure enough I had two friends for the next 3 hours. We talked US and Ireland travel, football, driving and politics for what seemed like hours, I was ready to ditch my dinner plans and see what else I could learn from these locals over a few pints! It wasn't until I told them I had to go after this last pint that things got funny. First off one guy took a call outside and didn't return back to the bar for his newly poured Guinness. While the other local and I made small talk he looked down at a new text on his phone and the with the next big swig of Guinness, both of them were gone. I thought it was just a case of when nature calls but 10-15 minutes later the bartenders were pretty adamant that "my friends" weren't coming back! I had to convince the waitstaff I had no real ties to these guys and they were just new acquaintances but nevertheless, I felt terrible for the waitstaff. I waited around some more time hoping they would return and cover their tab but I soon realized I was already late for my 6:00 dinner appointment so I cashed out with a generous tip and ran across town to the Boxy in Temple Bar to salvage the night having a great dinner with the Leadership group and some undergrad students from CO as well!



Long story short - the locals had some great knowledge and stories to share but you can never be too sure of who you are dealing with until sometime it is too late..

No comments:

Post a Comment